Website traffic: what is it and what is its role in promotion?
Site traffic is the number of Internet users who visit it over a period of time using different sources. Traffic volume is measured by the total number of clicks, the number of unique visitors, or the total number of sessions for the selected date range. Actually, this metric is a reflection of the authority and popularity of an online resource. After all, the more people go to your site, the better, more useful and popular it is on the Internet. Ultimately, in order to achieve high traffic, they order the services of a marketing agency, because specialists in their field work there who are able to attract target users from all known sources. What you need for a growing business on the Internet. However, first things first.
Why is it important to know site traffic, and what does this information indicate?
The number of site visits demonstrates people's interest in the resource and the search query for which it is found. The stronger the flow of users, the more sales should be. Is it logical? Yes. But not always site traffic, the quality of which will help you to check the promotion specialists, entails an increase in sales and income. After all, attracting visitors is not a problem now. On freelance exchanges, you can easily find offers for “boosting” traffic. In this case, the website will be visited by people who are completely different in age, needs, and hobbies, who are in no way interested in buying the product being sold. Therefore, it is important to check site traffic and make sure it is targeted.
For an ordinary user who is looking for a product or service he needs, the number of site visitors does not matter. He has his own criteria for evaluating a web resource. Whereas a marketer, SEO-optimizer, web analyst, PPC-specialist, it is extremely necessary to find out the site traffic. And not just find out, but evaluate how targeted it is. The quality and result of the work performed largely depends on this. After all, visitors are different:
- target audience interested in a specific topic, purposefully staying on the site in search of the necessary information;
- users who clicked on the referral link, or went through the advertisement;
- the audience of social networks who went to the website through advertisements or through the corporate account of the company;
- visitors who found an online resource in the search using the entered keywords;
- inappropriate users who got to the pages of the web resource in a random way.
Website traffic analysis results help marketers find the strengths and weaknesses of the Internet platform, as they indicate important metrics:
- the number of target users who visited the web resource during the day;
- paths of transition and viewing of the website by page;
- time spent by the user on the site;
- bounce rate;
- the amount of read, scrolled, just visited pages;
- popular and little-demanded pages;
- periods of maximum loading of an online resource.
As a result, the analysis of site traffic helps to optimize the work of the promotion department, allows you to determine the effectiveness of advertising channels and improve the functionality of the resource itself.
From which sources can you watch traffic?
The team promoting a business resource on the Internet involves several experts, each of whom is endowed with his own area of responsibility, and is working to attract traffic from specific sources. Let's say a PPC specialist tunes in product search ads and attracts purchased, paid traffic. An SEO works to drive organic, free traffic.
To check site traffic and get useful data, consider what types of traffic are divided into:
- Search engine, organic — the most effective, because the key phrases on the site get people interested in goods and services. Due to free traffic, over time, the number of users who go to your Internet resource increases, because the more often and more people visit it, the better and more authoritative it looks for a search service, which means that its positions in the search results become higher, and it is easier for users to find it.
- Purchased, advertising — in this case, users visit a web resource by clicking on an ad, link or banner. Works as long as you pay for Google Ads, Yandex Direct or a webmaster of a third-party Internet portal.
- Social — the flow of users who got to the website through a link posted in the corporate or personal profile of social networks Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, etc.
- Referral — means visitors who came to the pages of an online resource through a link posted on a third-party website. Anyone can leave one: your friends, you personally, any Internet user, administrators of third-party web platforms for a fee. Yes, driving referral traffic is extremely useful for SEO promotion, and reflects the effectiveness of your link building strategy. After all, the more trusted external sources link to the site, the better. PS algorithms see this and automatically promote such an online platform to the TOP of the search results.
- Direct — referrals of users who entered the domain address in the search box directly, or previously saved the site in bookmarks and visited it at the right time. You can increase direct traffic both online and offline by posting the address of a web resource on flyers, billboards, letterheads, business cards and other promotional products.
Check website traffic: why is it needed?
Assessment of the number and behavior of users on the site — who and how often visits, what content is interested in, what actions are being taken, what percentage is placing an order — all this data helps to understand the effectiveness of the marketing strategy, and in case of problems, to correct it in a timely manner, choosing the best option.
In addition to assessing your traffic, you need to track the traffic to your competitor's website. This must be done both at the stage of opening a project and in the process of its promotion. In the first case, you will test a niche, orient yourself on the amount of work to be done and allocate a budget for promotion. In the second, you will find out the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors, highlight effective promotion channels and calculate the approximate conversion rate.
How can I see website traffic?
The best solution in this case would be the Google Analytics system. In order to cover more traffic channels, it is recommended to connect call tracking and end-to-end analytics, for example, Ringostat, Binotel, and then integrate the data into CRM. With GA you can find out:
- traffic sources and channels,
- behavioral factors,
- socio-demographic characteristics of visitors,
- the frequency of returning to the site,
- conversion opportunity,
- the number of unique site visitors,
- bounce rate,
- the devices that users use to access the website.
Of course, this is all possible if you have access to your Google Analytics account. When you need to analyze your competitors' traffic, of course, no one will give you access to GA. And in this case, third-party online services come to the rescue, both paid and free. We will talk about them in the future.
How can you track your competitors' traffic?
We have already discussed why this should be done, but just in case, we will repeat it again. You need to evaluate the traffic of a competitor's site in order to answer a number of important questions:
- How much traffic can you expect when you get into the TOP of the search results?
- Are there seasonal fluctuations in traffic?
- What marketing techniques and tools work most effectively in your chosen niche?
- How popular is the product, product, service, and how highly competitive the corresponding niche is.
Having a full range of information, it is quite possible to develop a new strategy for online promotion or adjust the existing one, to understand the market situation in time and minimize the risk of “draining” the budget.
Now about what services to use in order to find out website traffic if there is no access to Google Analytics.
An English-language online service that can be used both on a paid and on a free version. Allows you to compare the traffic of up to 5 web resources for the selected period. Traffic data is displayed in SimilarWeb if it exceeds 5,000 visitors within 30 days. The service displays the depth of views and the duration of the sessions, the sources and channels of traffic, the bounce rate, the type of devices and the demographics of users.
Multifunctional analytical harvester, provides marketing and SEO information, including traffic indicators. SerpStat displays the volume of traffic, the visibility of the website and the requests for which it is ranked. This information will be useful in the formation of a promotion strategy in organic search and the development of advertising campaigns by a PPC specialist. The service is paid, with a free trial period.
Another powerful analytical online service that allows you to compare domains, check keywords, reveal the volume of organic traffic, perform cross-link analysis and many other operations. With the help of Ahrefs, you can find a competitor's popular content and, on its basis, develop a useful content plan that is relevant to the target audience, as well as edit or improve your search engine promotion strategy. The service is paid, with a weekly free period.
Another online service similar in functionality to SerpStat and Ahrefs. With the help of SEMRush, you can check the site for traffic by months, track the level of interest and find out the increase in new users. It also shows devices, sources, channels, geography of visits. The only thing that SEMRush doesn't provide us with is page indexing information. On the other hand, this platform works in both English and Russian.
Attendance analysis tool with an English-language interface. Access to it is paid, there are 4 tariffs to choose from with different functional capabilities. Alexa provides statistics on user geography, backlinks, bounce rate, website viewing duration, browsing depth, and organic rankings. Using this service, you can assess the traffic of competitors and increase the effectiveness of SMM, SEO, contextual advertising and other promotion tools.
Russian-language online service with free access and a wide range of options for web analytics. LiveInternet provides statistics on resource traffic, and allows you to track the volume of traffic per day, 7 days or a month. At the same time, you have the opportunity to analyze clicks on advertisements, ads, banners, and study the transitions by search phrases. LiveInternet keeps track of the devices used to log in, the geography of users, the sources and channels of traffic.
Summary: why you need website traffic analysis
Viewing traffic to a web resource, both your own and your competitors, is an important aspect of monitoring the effectiveness of a marketing strategy. Thanks to this, you will be able to correct the shortcomings in the promotion in time, and focus on the strengths of the promotion. The main thing is not to use wrapping, otherwise you risk getting sanctions from the search engine. If you are interested in high-quality promotion and targeted traffic, entrust complex marketing to Light Spider digital agency. We know how to bring buyers to your website.